Home > Full program > Food autonomisation of cities
It seems inevitable that we need to rethink our relationship to food, agriculture and food processing in order to bring about long long-term sustainable change. Indeed, food is a central element of our societies, as it represents a complex way of organising around a need that every human being is confronted with on a daily basis. The way we produce and consume food creates challenges at all levels of our lives: political and economic interdependence, environmental consequences, food waste, etc.
Develop your projects, create your business...
The GENEVA FORUM invites you to propose your solutions in this field.
The way we produce and consume food products is largely based on massive imports and exports around the world. These transports are responsible for significant greenhouse gas emissions, which are directly involved in global warming. Our dependence on imports also suggests political and economic constraints on the countries or regions of origin and can lead to food waste during transport.
It therefore seems interesting to think about alternative methods that are eco-friendlier and more sustainable in the long term.
The aim would be to bring local production and consumption closer to local households, by transforming the economy in depth in order to make it circular and resistant to global hazards or transformations. Promoting the food autonomy of urban entities would have many other benefits:
- Improving the quality and traceability of the products consumed;
- Allowing better monitoring of the pollution generated and the implementation of compensatory measures;
- Develop a social link between consumers and producers at the local level;
- Enable the political and economic autonomy of cities, as well as decision-making independent of food interests;
- Limit food waste caused by the many different forms and roots of transport for goods;
The concrete implementation of these objectives allows us to reconnect society with its environment and its needs, creating a balance at the local level and allowing the master of the different aspects involved in our practices. In this perspective of local empowerment, various solutions can be found:
- The development of already existing practices such as permaculture, which is a practice suggesting the creation of human, ethical and sustainable ecosystems based on biomimicry and a desire for autonomy;
- The development of new methods of application for already existing technologies;
- The development of disruptive and completely new technologies in the field.
The aim is to create clusters of local production and consumption, thus reconnecting consumers to the environment in which they live, and to better control the environmental, economic and political repercussions. Innovative and visionary projects are needed to increase the food security of cities and to attract all the associated social, economic and political benefits.
Suggest a solution !
If you wish, you can present, alone or with others, your proposals to the UN and you will be accompanied in the creation and development of activities based on these proposals.
|Come with your ideas, prepare yourself, and participate actively in the workshops of the GENEVA FORUM. Meet your future teammates and get ready to actively change the world!|
If you wish to propose a solution to the World in this field :
1) Search and select the International Conference at the UN on which you want to present your idea or solution by consulting this list of GENEVA FORUM Conferences (click here)
2) Fill in the form to submit the abstract (a summary) of your presentation (click here), stating "Yes" in the box "Is your presentation, a proposal for a disruptive technology ?"
3) Come at the next GENEVA FORUM, and give a short presentation of 5 minutes (pitch) and then participate in the one hour workshop following your presentation, with GENEVA FORUM participants who will want to move forward with you.
|On site, our team of one-on-one meetings will welcome you in a specific way as a carrier of alternative solutions, and will be in charge in particular of :|
| || || |
Ask a question